You may not think that you need to really care for your front door, or any exterior door for that matter, but to keep them lasting longer, it is a good idea. The better maintained your exterior doors are, the longer they will last. We are not saying that you need to clean them once a month; a few times a year is all it takes to keep your exterior doors looking their best and lasting longer.
First, let’s talk about cleaning those exterior doors. Now before you grab whatever cleaner is close by, continue reading! Each type of door is different in how you should clean it. Check the list below for your door type and the proper way to clean it.
• Steel, Fiberglass and Wood doors – Use a gentle cleaner, such as diluted dish soap to clean.
• Wrought Iron Doors – Clean with a mixture of oil soap and water.
Next, there are a few things you should be sure to do avoid doing when cleaning your exterior door:
• Avoid using abrasive tools that could scratch or leave marks on your doors. Always use sponges or link-free cloths to clean your door.
• Use as little water as possible, and keep it from pooling in crevices on your door. A great idea is to put the water in a spray bottle.
• Avoid using a power washer or garden hose to rinse your door. While you think it may be the fastest way, it is also the messiest! That water will find any hole and end up inside your home.
As you are cleaning your front or back door, you should also inspect it. Below are a few things to look for:
• Cracks – If you find that you have any cracks in the door or window find out if you can get a replacement panel right away. If it is something that can not be replaced, then it is time for you to replace your door. Make sure to have a reliable company, like Window Mania, handle your door installation.
• Moisture – If you have glass panels on your front door and there is moisture that gets trapped between the panels, then chances are the seal between the glass is no longer intact.
• Damage to Weather Stripping – As you are cleaning your door, if you see that your weather stripping is damaged, head to your local hardware store and pick up some stripping so you can replace it. This is a simple task that in the end can save you money on your energy bills.
By taking the time to inspect and clean your exterior doors a few times a year, you can rest assured that they will last longer. It will also help with the appearance of your home. A front door that is clean and not damaged is much more inviting than one that has seen better days.
If you find that you are in need of a new exterior door, Window Mania can help! We can handle all door installations. Contact us today to learn more.
Window Mania is a full service window installer and door installation provider. We help many home owners with replacement windows, new windows installation, door replacement, and door installation. We work with families and businesses in and around Collegeville, PA, Pottstown, PA, Exeter Township, PA, and Allentown, PA.
Reference – https://www.builddirect.com/learning-center/doors/care-and-maintenance-tips-for-exterior-doors/